Code Compliance Certificates

A Code Compliance Certificate is issued at the end of the Building Consent process once the final inspection has been carried out, the required documentation has been received and all fees have been paid in full.

It is a ‘final sign-off’ certification showing that the work has been completed in accordance with the Building Code and your building consent.

Code Compliance Certificates:

  • Show that the work complies with the Building Code.
  • Provide a record of the work and show future buyers of the building that the work is legal. When you achieve compliance, it is recorded in any land information memorandum (LIM) for your property.
  • Ensure that the value of new building work is reflected in the property valuation.
  • May be required for insurance purposes.

Should you not obtain a CCC, you may encounter problems if you want to sell your house — Sale and Purchase agreements are often conditional on a CCC having been issued.

Applying for a CCC

When all work set out in a Building Consent  is complete and the final inspection has passed the owner must apply for a Code Compliance Certificate as soon as possible.

The application for CCC can be obtained from the inspecting Building Officer or from Council on request.

The ‘Application for CCC’ form must be completed in full and will need to include documentation identified in your approved Building Consent such as, Producer Statements, Energy Certificates, LBP records, plumbing and drainage as-builts, as-builts for minor variations.

The receipt of these documents is required to be verified before CCC can be issued.

Processing a CCC Application

The Building Act requires us to decide whether to issue a Code Compliance Certificate within one of the following:

a) 20 working days from the date of application.

b) If no application is made, 2 years after the date on which the Building Consent was granted.

c) An agreed extension period from a) or b) above.

In each case the Council has 20 working days to decide if they are satisfied on reasonable grounds that the building work complies and whether to issue a CCC or not.

The clock starts when we either receive your application, or the 2 year period expires, or the agreed extension period expires.

As with building consent applications, the clock will stop if your application is suspended  for further documentation or outstanding fees, and will restart when those have been received.

Issuing a CCC

If council is satisfied on reasonable grounds that the CCC can be issued a comparison is made between the estimated inspection costs previously invoiced and the actual inspection costs incurred and a final invoice is produced.

If this invoice is a credit, the CCC will be issued. If money is owed to Council, this must be paid before the CCC is issued.

Refusing a CCC

If Council is not satisfied that the building work complies with the Building Consent you may be issued with a ‘Notice to Fix’ that lists the work that must be corrected before the CCC can be issued.

You are legally required to make sure the work on the notice is completed and advise Council when everything is done. Council will then re-inspect and reconsider whether or not a CCC can be issued.

You have 3 options if council refuses to issue a CCC:

  • Give Council additional grounds for issuing the CCC – ie: provide ‘Producer Statements’, opening up work, supplying an investigative report from a suitably qualified person, etc.
  • Alter the building as necessay to satisfy Council.
  • Apply to the Department of Building and Housing for a determination.

CCCs for consents issued under the 1991 Building Act

Applications for CCCs for these consents will be dealt with on a case by case basis.