Havelock North Water Contamination - Business Assistance
Updated 2 Sepember 2016
This scheme is designed to provide assistance to businesses affected by the recent water contamination event. It is not designed to provide compensation for losses. These matters are likely to turn on issues of eventual legal liability.
Priorities for assistance
First Priority: Businesses where there is a risk the business may not survive.
Second Priority: Other businesses significantly affected.
Criteria for second priority assistance
- Businesses that have supported their employees with wage payments greater than the employee’s entitlement to sick and annual leave where these are not recoverable by other means.
- Businesses who have suffered demonstrated impacts that have significantly affected their business.
- Circumstances, where in the opinion of the panel, assistance of a business by Council will likely have a major positive impact on the recovery of Havelock North.
Council is also working with IRD, MSD and banks to help coordinate access to other financial assistance. This assistance will be discussed with businesses once an application is made.
Council assistance may include:
1. A cash grant from the $100,000 Council fund established.
2. Penalty free rates deferment for up to 6 months with an agreed payment plan.
3. Potential for low level interest free loans (Up to one year).
Business Assistance review panel process:
The Council will receive business assistance applications from affected businesses.
The assistance review panel will consider and make recommendations on assistance based on the criteria and the facts and circumstances of each business. The Hastings District Council Chief Executive will consider and act on panel recommendations.
Review Panel members:
- Bruce Allan- Chief Financial Officer, Convenor
- Craig Waterhouse (external appointee)
- Craig Cameron-Group Manager, Economic Growth and Organisational Improvement
- Applications will be considered for impacts during the period 12th August to 9th September 2016.
- Applications for assistance under priority one should be made by Monday 12th September 2016.
- Applications for assistance under priority two should be made by Friday 23rd September 2016.
Business owners seeking financial support will need to complete an application form. Supporting documentation is required and the information needed is detailed on the claim form. To submit an application download the Economic Recovery Assistance form, complete and send as outlined on the form.
Claims should be made to Lee Neville, Acting Manager Economic Development. Phone: 06-8715000 ext. 5623 Email: email@example.com