LIMs - Land Information Memoranda

A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is a report prepared by Council (at your request) which provides historical and current information held by Council on matters affecting propertiesthe land and any buildings on a property.

Getting a LIM is important. It enables you to check that all buildings and structures on a property which require consent such as dwellings, garages, alterations, conservatories, spa pools and fires (Solid Fuel Heaters) places etc. on a property have been approved by the Council. It also makes you aware of any potential natural hazards on the property.

Unauthorised work may be expensive to rectify and could invalidate your insurance.

If you are interested in selling or buying a property, you should apply for a Land Information Memorandum (LIM). 

Applying for a LIM  



Download the application form here Land Information Memorandum (LIM) Application Form

To apply for a LIM you will need:

A completed Land Information Memorandum (LIM) Application Form

Payment of the applicable fee

Please ensure all requested information is included, to help us process the LIM as quickly as possible. It can take up to 10 working days (working days excludeing weekends and public holidays).

Information included in a LIM

A LIM comprises of two parts. You have the option of purchasing part A & B or just part A.

Part A contains the information Council must disclose in a LIM under s 44A(2) of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act (LGOIMA) and includes;

  • Special features or characteristics of the site including erosion, liquefaction, fill, fault lines, flooding and likely presence of hazardous contaminants.
  • Detailed information on water supply, sewer and stormwater.
  • The property’s rateable valuation and a summary of the rates account.
  • Any consents, certificates, notices, orders and requisitions, health and liquor licences and Weathertight Homes Resolution Services notifications.
  • Zoning and any other District Plan provisions or considerations affecting land use (eg. Designations, Wwaahi tapu Tapu sites, high voltage power lines, protected trees or heritage buildings).
  • Information notified by a Network Utility Operator.

Part B contains further information which the Council believes may be relevant to the purpose for which a person has requested a LIM. This information is made available under s 10 of LGOIMA and may include;

  • Whether the site is listed on the Hawkes Bay Regional Council’s Unverified Hazardous Activity List.
  • If the site has a Fire Fighting Water Supply or a Water Meter and Backflow device.
  • Whether there are dangerous, earthquake-prone (and potentially earthquake-prone buildings) or insanitary buildings on the property. Implications of the Dangerous and Insanitary Building Policy 2016, and Earthquake-prone Building Policy 2016.
  • Current resource consents and Designations on surrounding properties.
  • Proposed Public Works.
  • Development Contributions.
  • Any other correspondence or documents considered relevant to the property.

A LIM does not include

  • Any development works done carried out without Council knowledge or consent.
  • A full and comprehensive outline of development restrictions applying to a site.
  • A site visit to the property.
  • A comprehensive assessment of a property.  It documents only the information Council has about the property at the time the LIM is prepared. 

Any plans, aerial photographs or diagrams attached to the LIM are for illustrative purposes only and are not confirmation of the legal position of the boundaries or any services on the property. 

If you have any doubts about a site, you should employ an independent consultant.

Please Note:  Some properties lack full and accurate historical records as a result of losses during the 1931 Hawke’s Bay earthquake, and the mergers of four councils -- Hastings City, Hastings Borough, Havelock North Borough and Hawke’s Bay County.

LIM fees

Please refer to the schedule of fees and charges for the current fees.


What to do with your LIM

  • Examine the report closely with your lawyer, and check that the information in it is the same as the physical detail of the property.  Conveyance lawyers know what to look for in a LIM.
  • Check that any constructions or alterations have building consent.  Where building consents have been issued, check that a Code Compliance Certificate has also been issued.
  • If any resource consents have been issued for the property, check that consent conditions are being met.
  • Check that the waste disposal system is as stated on the LIM. If it tells you the property is connected to Council reticulation but you've seen a septic tank vent, confirm the situation with Council.
  • Consider your future development ideas for the property.  Items valued by the community - such as protected trees, archaeological sites and heritage buildings, as well as pipes and drains - may be issues you'll need to work around.

Please contact us if there is conflicting information in the LIM.