skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling

Use of a council reserve - Terms and conditions

Alcohol Ban Zones   

Alcohol Ban Zones prohibit the consumption and sale of liquor.
Alcohol Ban Area Maps

Alcohol Licence

If you are planning to sell or supply alcohol at your Event you will need to apply for a Special Licence. A Special Licence allows for the sale and supply of alcohol at an event such as a street party or function. It can also be issued to a Licencee for an extension of hours. It is issued for the one occasion only and cannot be renewed, however it can apply for more than one date covering the same type of event; for example for a two-day carnival. If alcohol is not sold at your event, or is not a part of a ticket price, then a Special Licence is not required. You cannot get a Special Licence for a BYO (‘Bring your own Alcohol’) event or function.

Amusement Devices

Amusement devices are regulated under the Amusement Device Regulations 1978.
Only certified subcontractors are to operate amusement devices within HDC Parks, Reserves and Public Spaces, unless by prior Council approval.

Breach of Conditions

The Hirer acknowledges that a breach of any of these terms and conditions, may result in:

  • forfeit of all or part of the bond (if any);
  • closure of the Event;
  • refusal to accept future bookings from the Event Organiser; and/or
  • the Hirer being liable for any additional costs incurred.

Event Cancellation and Changes

If the Event is cancelled by the Hirer, notify the HDC Public Spaces Event Facilitator in writing as soon as possible. Council reserves the right to cancel the Event for any reason it sees fit, at any time, and without any prior notice, if the land is administered, owned or controlled by Council.
Any proposed change to the nature or timing of the Event, as set out in the Application to Use a Council Reserve, Park and Public Space Form, must be notified, and if necessary, approved by Council, in its absolute discretion.


The Council may determine, at its absolute discretion, that a refundable bond, as set out in the Service Level Agreement, is required. If so, deductions will be made from the bond if the Council, acting reasonably, determines that:

  • the Venue and/or any of the Council’s property in the Venue is destroyed or damaged/is required to be reinstated;
  • cleaning/tidying/rubbish removal is required to be carried out by the Council;
  • the Event Hire Period is exceeded;
  • there is loss to, or costs incurred by, the Council as a result of any other breach of this Agreement.

Provided that the Council is satisfied with the condition of the Site at the termination of the Hire Period, the Bond will be refunded in full.
In the event that the Bond is insufficient to compensate the Council for any costs/losses incurred, the Hirer shall pay the Council the shortfall on demand.

Event Documentation

The Hirer must ensure that a final version of the Event Operations Plan documentation is held on the Site for the duration of the Event and including, but not limited to the Council approval, health and safety documentation, key event contact persons and their contact details, the site plan and COVID-19 Level requirements.


Use of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) also known as drones, quadcopters, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS), on Council reserves is controlled under the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Rules Part 101 and 102.
For an application for permission to operate RPAS / UAS on:

  1. Council parks / reserves: contact the HDC Public Spaces Planner
  2. Road reserve: contact the HDC Transportation Officer

The Civil Aviation Authority’s website provides full details of Rules Part 101 and 102 and further advice for operators of unmanned aircraft. Visit the CAA website here.

Electrical Sound and Lighting Cables

All cables to be covered by yellow jacket (cable covers) or appropriate matting. Power boxes need to be closed once cables are connected. RCD breakers are to be used.

Food Stalls and Mobile Traders

Anyone selling food at your event is subject to the Health Act 1956 and the Food Act 2014.
Vendors selling food at your event may or may not be required to register under the Act. Please contact an HDC Environmental Health Officer for clarification.
The Hirer is responsible for each HDC Public Space Vendor Permit Fee in their Application to Use Council Parks, Reserves and Public Space grounds, obtained from the HDC Public Spaces team for Commercial Food Stall Holders and Mobile Traders.


All portable generators must comply with the current NZ standards and be fitted with an earth leakage device and used in a well ventilated area for fume emissions.

Ground Care/Maintenance

The Hirer acknowledges that the Site may not be mown before the Event/Activity. The mowing of lawns is subject to weather and ground conditions, and contracted on a programmed frequency.
The Hirer must ensure that no fires or candles are lit under any circumstances.

Hazard and Incident Reporting

All hazards that cannot be rectified immediately, are to be recorded on the ‘Risk Management Plan’, with mitigation controls to minimise the risk. If an incident occurs, regardless of whether there is an injury or equipment damage, it must be reported to the Council, as soon as practical within 24 hours.

Health and Safety

An Event Operations Management Plan, including a risk register is to be specific to the event and submitted by the Hirer.

Motor Vehicle Access

Motor vehicles are prohibited within parks, reserves and public space sites, unless by prior written Council approval, particularly grassed grounds.


The Hirer will be responsible for the control of any nuisance that may eventuate as a result of the event activities at the event site.


Parking for all vehicles is strictly restricted to the designated car parks (if any) unless by prior written Council approval.
The Hirer shall at all times ensure that all entrances to and exits from the Venue are kept clear and unobstructed.

Public Access

The Hirer shall have the non‐exclusive use of the Site for the Event/Activity during the Event Hire Period.
The general public must be allowed free access to, and enjoyment of, the Site during the Event Hire Period.

Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability insurance is generally required if you are inviting the public to attend your event. Talk to an insurance provider or advisor to discuss your event details.
The Hirer is responsible for Public Liability Insurance and any insurance on property or equipment not owned by HDC.

Rubbish & Waste – Waste Management Plan

The Hirer is responsible for managing the waste created by their event. The hirer must aim to avoid sending any waste to landfill that can be recycled or composted.
The Hirer is responsible for cleaning the venue/event site, including but not limited to:

  • the collecting and removing all event generated waste and litter from and around the event site perimeter boundary;
  • Collecting and removing litter from within the event site plan placed in Council bins, ponds/fountains, paths/hard surfaces and building facilities.

Existing Council rubbish bins are on a programmed empty frequency and can only be used for casual facility use only – for your event you must remove any waste your event has created.

Site Keys

A $100 key bond is required. Key Bonds are payable by cash or Eftpos only and must be paid at the time the key to the Site is uplifted from the HDC Customer Services Reception during working hours (Monday – Friday 8am-5pm, except Tuesday 9am-5pm).
The Key Bond will be refunded to the Hirer provided that the keys for the Site are returned to HDC Customer Services Reception within 3 (three) working days of the end of the Event Hire Period. In the event that keys are not returned within the time limit specified, in addition to retaining the Key Bond, the Hirer shall bear all costs and expenses the Council incurs for having new keys cut and in securing the Site.

Temporary Signage

Approved temporary signage to advertise your event on private property for up to three months before and seven days after an event. All approved temporary signs must be on private property and not on road reserve, which includes: berms, footpaths, roads, telephone / power poles, traffic signs, any area of road reserve or within 50 meters of a controlled intersection (e.g. traffic lights, roundabouts, Stop or Give Way signs). HDC approved signage of the maximum area per site is limited to 2.5m2.
Different rules for signage may apply to NZTA and KiwiRail owned/managed land and reserves.

Tents and Marquees, Portable and Temporary Structures

Scaffolding / platforms / grandstands / staging greater than 1 meter high and / or a tent or marquees with a floor area greater than 100m2, require an approved building consent with the HDC Building Consents Officer. NOTE: Allow at least 20 working days in advance of the event to allow the Building Consent application to be processed.
Before erecting any tent or marquee on any park, reserve or public space, construction perimeter fencing during set up and pack down must be in place. The location must be confirmed by the Event Facilitator to ensure grounds are line marked to mitigate damage to irrigation or underground services.
All structures and other works accessory to an event shall be removed and the site returned to its original condition by the termination of the Event Hire Period.

Toilets / Portaloos

Council helps ensure the health and safety of event attendees by setting the number of toilets required at an event.
All grey waste and black waste must be removed from site and dumped at an approved waste dumping station.

Traffic Management Plan

If you are planning an event which requires all or part of a road to be temporarily closed a formal application and approval process is required, with a two month lead time. Council staff cannot approve (or decline) temporary road closures, and a full two months is required to ensure that the request can go before a Council Committee Meeting for formal approval. Requests of this type also need to be publically notified. Please see the following link for further information and requirements for temporary road closures a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) may be required for your event depending on a number of factors including event size, attendee numbers and parking requirements. You will be advised of this upon submission of your completed application.

Water Supply

Access to ground water supply tobies is by approval only. Water supply points must be fitted with a backflow valve prior to use, please advise the access point for the HDC Water Team to confirm.


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2024 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /