While it is a wonderful time of year, the holiday season can be pretty wasteful.
It’s estimated that Kiwis send an extra 50,000 tonnes of waste to landfill the week after Christmas, which is an increase of about 30 per cent.
Here are some top tips from Hastings District Council’s waste minimisation team:
- Gift thoughtfully
- Make your own gifts: bake, sew, knit, weave, build, paint…
- Buy gifts that people actually want. Ask them!
- Shop second-hand, check out the op-shops or the online re-sale marketplaces.
- Buy locally made and up-cycled products. The Re-new Market on December 17 is the perfect place to check out.
- Give experience vouchers instead of things. And think local….
- Ditch the wrapping paper. Did you know that most wrapping paper can’t be recycled? Use things you have like; fabric, scarves, tea towels, paper bags or pre-used gift wrap that you’ve saved up.
- Check out Furoshiki: The art of Japanese fabric wrapping.
- Looking for a fun educational gift? Worm farms eat your food scraps and provide the best fertiliser around!
Food for thought
Food and Christmas go hand in hand. But all too often this leads to overbuying and food going to waste. The best thing you can do to reduce food waste is plan what you’re going to eat, write a shopping list and stick to it. Have a think about recipes that can use up those leftovers and make sure you have plenty of space in your fridge and freezer.
For more great ideas and leftover recipe ideas check out lovefoodhatewaste.co.nz
More recycling than your crates can handle? Bring your excess to one of our transfer stations.
5 December 2022
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 / email@example.com