Massive public input into waste plan
20 April 2018
Work on analysing the 6129 submissions to the draft joint Waste Management and Minimisation Plan has started.
Residents in Napier and Hastings have been asked to comment on options for minimising and better managing waste. “The response has been outstanding. The more input we can have into the decision-making process, the more likely we are to come to a conclusion that we can all support,” said Tania Kerr, Hastings deputy mayor and Joint Council Waste Futures Project Steering Committee chairperson.
“With this type of project, that is critical – the management of waste is hugely important and councils cannot do it on their own. Once we reach a decision, we need people to help us by committing to better managing their rubbish so we can reduce the amount going to the landfill.”
The consultation on the six-year review of the joint plan had been running since late February.
The hearing of submissions will be held over four days from June 18.
Just over 200 of the submitters had asked to address the hearings committee as well as have their written submission considered. The six-person panel has three councillors from each of the councils. From Hastings: Tania Kerr (chairman), George Lyons and Rod Heaps; from Napier: Annette Brosnan, Api Tapine and Larry Dallimore.
Council staff are in the process of sorting the submissions into topics, after which they will prepare a report including recommendations on the submissions.
The hearings committee will consider all of the feedback in the submissions, hear the verbal submissions, consider the staff report and then make its recommendations, which will be returned to both councils for consideration.
“We want to impress on everyone that no decisions on the options have been made and all input will be taken into account. We are looking forward to seeing all of the information provided to us from such a vast number of our residents,” said Mrs Kerr.
26 April 2018