Dog exercise areas
All dogs must be on a lead in public urban areas, except in the specified locations listed below. You can find a detailed description of the on-lead/off-lead areas in Hastings District Council's Consolidated Bylaw(chapter 3).
Dogs are not permitted on sports fields or public playgrounds, at Hastings libraries and public swimming pools, or on Rangaiika Beach (between Ocean Beach and Cape Kidnappers) either on lead or off-lead.
You must pick up your dog's droppings whether you are in an on-lead or an off-lead area. It is illegal to allow your dog to foul in public places without removing the droppings and disposing in a hygienic manner.
In dog off-lead areas a leash must be carried by the dog walker, and the dog be under the control of the walker at all times.
Dog off-lead areas
- Tainui, Tanner and Hikanui reserves
- Tauroa Road Reserve
- Te Mata and Arataki Road Reserve
- Kingsgate Reserve from Te Mata Road to Reeve Drive, Ritchie Place, Fulford Place and Durham Drive
- The banks of Karamu Stream, from the point adjacent to the southern most edge of Anderson Park, Havelock North, to the vehicle over-bridge on Havelock Road
- The southern boundary walkway of Keirunga Gardens on Tanner Street, Havelock North
- Te Mata Peak Park
- James Cook Street Reserve
- Palmbrook Reserve
- Karamu Road South, from Pattison Road south to Murdoch Road
- Ebbett Park during daylight saving between 7.30pm and 7am the following day; during the rest of the year between 6pm and 7am the following day
- Duke Street Reserve.
- Pakowhai Country Park (Hawke's Bay Regional Council)
- Along Portsmouth Rd (rural side), from Wilson Rd west to the end of Portsmouth Rd
- The Flaxmere Green Belt to the west of Tarbet St, Arklow Pl and Frobisher St, between Kirkwood Rd and Flaxmere Ave
Haumoana and Te Awanga
- The Haumoana-Te Awanga coastal beachfront area, from the mouth of the Tukituki River south to the boundary of the Clifton No. 2 camp, Te Awanga, excluding the beachfront between numbers 3 and 41 Clifton Rd, Haumoana
Waimarama and Ocean Beach
- The beachfront of the Ocean Beach settlement north to the surf club during daylight saving between 7.30pm and 7.30am the following day; during the rest of the year between 6pm and 7am the following day
- Ocean Beach north of the surf life saving club to 100m south of the predator-proof fence
- Waimarama Beach north to the Puhokio Stream river mouth during daylight saving between 7.30pm and 7.30am the following day; during the rest of the year between 6pm and 7am the following day
- Waimarama Beach north of the Puhokio Stream river mouth to Pututaranui Point at any time
Whirinaki and Eskdale
- The North Shore and Whirinaki to Tangoio Beach road reserve
- Eskdale Park along the southern (right-hand side) to the end of the park driveway.
- The beach front of Waipatiki Beach Settlement, coastwards of the reserve, during daylight savings between 7:30pm and 7:30am the following day, during the rest of the year between 4pm and 10am the following day
- Wapatiki beach north and south of the area referred to above
Dog exercise areas map
You can view the legend on the top right hand of the map and use your mouse to zoom in/out, pan and scroll buttons