skip to main content skip to main menu

Building Consents and information
~ Ngā tono me ngā pārongo hanga whare

clipbboard house

Do I need a Building Consent?

Most building, plumbing and drainage work requires a Building Consent.

However, some types of minor building work are exempted from the need for consent. A full description of exemptions is contained in Schedule 1 of the Building Act 2004 or, for guidance, see the MBIE document Building work that does not require a building consent

Applying for an exemption

One of the rules in the Act (Schedule 1, Part 1, s.2), allows Council to exempt work from requiring a Building Consent at its discretion. A decision on an exemption is based on Council’s assessment of risks that may come with building work not being carried out in accordance with the Building Code, including that of endangering people or property. Exemptions are generally only considered for minor low-risk projects such as farm buildings, marquees and tents.

Marquees and tents

A Guide for Schedule 1, Part 1, s2 Exemptions for Marquees (in the 'related documents' section at the bottom of this page) provides code compliance considerations and calculation information for customers wishing to apply for marquee/tent exemptions. This guide needs to be filled in and supplied to Council in order for the project to be considered for exemption.

Farm buildings

Council has a general policy to exempt the construction of a farm building in the rural environment from requiring Building Consent, provided it meets the criteria listed in the exemption application form (available from the 'related documents' section at the bottom of this page).

Exemption application

In order to apply for an exemption you will need to complete the relevant application form (in the related documents section at the bottom of this page) and prepare drawings showing the extent of the proposed exempt work.

To lodge your exemption application, please call Council and make an appointment with the duty building officer; phone 871 5000. At that appointment you will need to pay the non-refundable fee, see the Fees and Charges page.

If Council is satisfied that your proposal can be exempted you will receive written confirmation of this and the information will be added to the property file. If Council is not satisfied then you will need to apply for a Building Consent before carrying out the work.

149 page views for the last 30 days

Share this page
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on LinkedIn Share by Email

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Hastings District Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 838 7309 / Fax: +64 6 838 8874