skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling

Certificate of Acceptance, Minor Variations and Amendments

In some circumstances, a Certificate of Acceptance can be issued for work carried out on a building without Building Consent. The application process and information on the projects which can and cannot be considered for a CoA are set out on this page.

How to make applications for minor variations or amendments to a consent

Amendments to building consents must be made before the work is done. This application can be made by completing Form 2, the building consent application form.

It is helpful to cloud around the area of the work being altered to speed up processing times.

Minor variations are small changes that can usually be approved by the inspector onsite. It is in you/your builder’s best interest to raise these with the inspector as soon as possible. You may need to provide drawings etc. showing what the minor variation is. Council don’t have an application form for minor variations.

When premises for public use can be occupied (including Certificate for Public Use process)

Where you are working on a building that’s open to members of the public or used by members of the public, you may wish to continue using the building while work is underway. Obviously, it is important to ensure people using the building can do so safely and not be adversely affected by any building work.

It’s the owner’s decision as to when to occupy a building but you may need to apply for and obtain a certificate for public use. To do so you must be able to demonstrate people can safely use the building until a Code Compliance certificate is issued.

To apply for a certificate for public use you need to fill in an application form and pay a fee.

Managing changes on site

Matters can become complicated if changes are made on site without Council approval. You need to discuss any changes you wish to make to a design with both the designer and Council before making the change.

In some cases, you may need to apply for an amendment to the consent. This takes 20 working days to approve.

In other cases the work may be a minor variation (see the page: ‘How to make applications for minor variations or amendments to a consent’). Changes could hold up your project if not managed appropriately.


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2021 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /