skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling


Noise Control FAQs

What is excessive noise?

The term excessive noise is defined in the Resource Management Act 1991 and means any noise that is under human control and of such a nature as to unreasonably interfere with the peace, comfort, and convenience of any person.

Excessive noise may include noise emitted by any:

  • Musical instrument
  • Electrical appliance
  • Machine (however powered)
  • Person or group of persons
  • Explosion or vibration

Excessive noise does not include noise emitted by any:

  • Aircraft being operated during, or immediately before or after, flight
  • Vehicles being driven on a road (within the meaning of section 2(1) of [the Land Transport Act 1998)
  • Train, other than when being tested (when stationary), maintained, loaded, or unloaded

Do noise restrictions only apply at night?

No. You can complain about excessive noise at any time of the day or night.

What can be done about noise from the following?

  • Stereo volume or bass, bands, drums, guitars
  • Vehicles (stereos, revving, movements)

 If you feel the noise is excessive contact Council, to lodge a complaint. Screaming, yelling or other loud/excessive human behaviours should be referred to Police.

What can be done about ongoing noise problems?

If the noise is ongoing contact a Council environmental health officer to discuss the situation.

How late can my neighbour mow their lawn?

There are no set times. Lawn mowing noise is generally acceptable during daytime hours but mowing should not be carried out before 7am. In all situations however, people mowing their lawns should be mindful of the noise impact on their neighbours, particularly later in the evening.

Who do I need to contact if I want to stage a concert?

You will need to contact Council's planning and regulatory team. This team is concerned with noise levels, fire safety, building safety and monitoring, sale of alcohol, land use compliance, food hygiene and other issues.

What can I do about a car alarm sounding?

If there is any sign of forced entry or intruders, contact Police. If it looks as though the car has not been broken into, check adjacent properties or businesses for the owner. If it is a frequent occurrence, leave a note on the windscreen, otherwise, contact Council's 24-hour phone line, with the car's registration number, description and location of vehicle (these details will help us locate the owner).

What can I do about noise from businesses in my neighbourhood?

There are noise levels set out in the Hastings District Plan which define the conditions a business can operate within so it does not create unreasonable noise. If you have concerns, contact an Environmental Policy Planner at Council.


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2021 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /