skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling

Fundraising and community eventsNgā kaupapa kohi pūtea me ngā kaupapa ā-hapori

If you are planning on having food at your community event, you will need to provide the details of the stall holders with your on-line Event Notification Form. As an event organiser, it is your responsibility to ensure all food stalls operating at your event have the correct permissions.

Non-commercial food stalls

Sausage sizzles and selling food like jams and cakes are popular ways to raise money for good causes. Stall holders need to comply with Ministry of Primary Industries'  Food Safety Guidelines and fill in a food safety questionnaire and lodge it with Council.

Fundraising more than 20 times a year

Under the Food Act 2014 you can sell food to raise funds for a charity, or at cultural and community events without registering under the Act - but only up to 20 times in a calendar year.

If you are selling food as a fundraiser 20 or more times a year, you are defined as a business under the Act, and may need to adopt one of the food safety plans or programmes in the Act. Use the Ministry of Primary Industries' 'Where do I fit?' tool to help you find out what you may need to do.

Commercial food stalls

If food is to be sold on a commercial basis, each food stall holder must hold a stall holder's licence and the appropriate food registration.

Some food stall-holders are already licensed. In that case, you simply need to supply the name, contact details and stall holders licence number for each vendor with your online Event Notification Form. The details will be checked by Council's environmental health team to ensure all the correct licences are in place.

Food stall vendors who do not already hold a Council-issued licence will need to apply for one (the application form is available from the 'related documents' section at the bottom of this page). In this case, note the vendors' details on your Event Notification Form and advise your stall holders of the requirement. Allow two weeks for the processing of the licence. The stall holder must have received their licence number before they can operate at your event.

During your event, an Environmental Health Officer must be allowed to access the site to ensure all food safety and health regulations are being followed


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2024 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /