Applying for senior housing
Who can apply?
To qualify for housing, all applicants must meet Hastings District Council’s senior housing eligibility criteria.
Criteria for eligibility
To qualify for housing, the applicant/s must:
- Be a New Zealand citizen or have New Zealand permanent residency.
- Be 55 years of age or over (both members of a couple must qualify), however priority will be given to people over the age of 60.
- Have an income of not more than $29,500 gross per year for a single person and $45,000 gross per year for a couple.
- Be receiving a permanent benefit.
- Demonstrate the ability to live independently or be receiving sufficient support.
- Have assets valued at less than $40,000 (single applicant) or $45,000 (couple). Assets exclude furniture, motor car and personal effects.
- Have a good tenancy history and be of good character verified by two referees.
Go to the Senior Housing Locations page for more information.
To apply for a Hastings District Council senior housing unit fill in the application form, available in the 'related documents' section at the bottom of this page, or from the Hastings District Council administration building in Lyndon Rd, or phone +64 6 871 5000 to have a copy posted to you. Once completed email the form or return it to the Lyndon Rd Council offices.