skip to main content skip to main menu

Roads & Streets
~ Ngā rori me ngā tiriti


Over Weight and Over Dimensional Vehicles

If you have a non-standard vehicle - one that is heavier or larger than most, you may need to get special permission to drive it on our roads.

Make an application

Overweight loads are trucks or transportation devices that exceed the maximum permitted weights of vehicles on roads (Heavy Motor Vehicle Regulations 1974). You will need to apply for a permit to drive these vehicles on our roads.

To apply to drive on our roads, complete the NZTA Overweight Permit Application.

This is an interim arrangement while Hastings District council collects sufficient bridge information to allow permit processing by NZTA and consolidation of overweight permit management in Hawke’s Bay.

How much will it cost?

All charges are listed in the table below.

Where identical permits for multiple vehicles are applied for at the same time, you will only be charged for one permit.

How long are the permits valid?

  • New continuous or area up to a maximum of two years unless otherwise specified
  • Single trip up to a maximum of seven days
  • Multiple trip up to a maximum of one month

When are permits not issued?

Because of alignment and gradient constraints as well as shallow and fragile underground services, permits are not issued for overweight vehicles to travel on the following roads in our region:

In rural areas:

  • Area Road From To Tutira Darkey’s Spur Road Start End and Maraekakaho Burma Road Cattle Stop Top of hill

In urban areas:

  • Area Road From To direction
  • Hastings Karamu Grove Victoria Southbound


For more information contact our Transport Engineer by phone or email.

Transportation Fees and Charges approved for 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019.

All fees and charges are inclusive of GST (except as noted *).

Transportation fees and charges Fee (incl GST)
Overweight Permits
(A) Generic Overweight Permit$180.00 
Note: Issued when an area wide permit is required to cover Hastings District Council defined roads. Permit outlines roads to be used, bridges to be crossed, bridges which are prohitbited. Permit not to exceed 2 years.
(B) Individual Overweight Permit$120.00 
Note: Issued when a permit is required to cover Hastings District Council defined roads, where a specific route is requested for a specific date. Permit outlines roads to be used, bridges to be crossed, bridges which are prohibited.
(C) Inspections (per hour)$100.00 

Related Documents

Related Pages

There are no pages related to this page.

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Hastings District Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 838 7309 / Fax: +64 6 838 8874