skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling

Financial support

Hawke's Bay Disaster Relief Fund

The Disaster Relief Fund provides financial support to residents and ratepayers of the Hawke’s Bay region who have been affected by Cyclone Gabrielle. This one-off hardship grant provides for damage or hardship incurred as a result of the cyclone.

This fund is designed to help Hawke’s Bay communities, individuals, families, community organisations and marae get immediate access to funds to assist with recovering from the impacts of Cyclone Gabrielle within the Hawke’s Bay region.

Support is available upto a maximum of $1,000 per property or $2,000 for organisations, marae and community groups.

Applications will be assessed against the eligibility criteria and process periodically.

Please read the fact sheet around eligibility before completing this application.

FIND Out more and apply online here. 

Civil Defence Payments

If you have no insurance, you can still apply for some types of government assistance.  are available to people affected by Cyclone Gabrielle, although what you qualify for will depend on your situation. Work and Income can help with some costs and you don’t have to be on a benefit. Call 0800 400 100 for more details.

Temporary Accommodation Service

The Temporary Accommodation Service (TAS) can help you find temporary accommodation now or in the future. Longer-term help is also available and if you are uninsured (or your insurance doesn’t cover temporary accommodation) you may be eligible for financial assistance. Call 0508 754 163 for more information.

New Zealand Claims Resolution Service

The New Zealand Claims Resolution Service provides free advice, engineering, legal and wellbeing support. Register with them by calling 0508 624 327. If you are a tenant, you can get more information about your rights and obligations after a natural disaster at

Rural and Business Support

It is a tough time for farmers and growers who had only just started the clean-up after the heavy rain and flooding in January.

Events can be a blow for many farmers, growers, and rural businesses; help is available from many sources. Industry groups, Rural Support Trusts and other resource providers are there to support you.

The Government has approved $50m to deliver interim emergency business and Primary sector support.

Of that, $25m is for the primary sector which follows $4m pledged through the Ministry for Primary Industries earmarked to support a range of activities from animal welfare to the supply of food for rural communities.

Cyclone and flood recovery for businesses

The Government is providing $25 million in recovery support to businesses in seven regions affected by Cyclone Gabrielle and January floods in the North Island. Farmers and growers can apply for separate support from the Ministry for Primary Industries.

You can apply for a grant of up to $40,000.

The grants are to help you:

  • keep operating and position you for a successful recovery
  • maintain cashflow.


  • You’re facing significant cashflow issues due to continued challenges with customer access, ability to source stock, supply chain issues, inability to operate as usual due to the physical damage to equipment or premises, or delays in insurance assessment and repairs.
  • Your business is otherwise viable both before and after the flooding.
  • You are not receiving any funding from the Ministry for Primary Industries recovery fund.
  • You commit to acting in line with employment law and with due regard to your employees.

The HB Chamber of Commerce is working on setting up the application and payment systems as soon as possible.

Contact Hawke’s Bay Chamber of Commerce

Hastings District Council – Economic Recovery Support

You are also welcome to reach out to our Economic Development team for support and advice.

Lee Neville
Economic Development Manager
Hastings District Council

Rural Sector

In addition to the information below, please visit the MPI website for Cyclone Gabrielle Recovery advice, support and funding, or download their fact sheet here.

Cyclone Farmer and Grower Recovery Grants

The Government is providing $25 million to help farmers, growers, and whenua Māori owners recover from Cyclone Gabrielle, through the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI).

What can the grants be used for:

  • Grants for pastoral and arable farmers/growers of up to $10,000 to help initial recovery on-farm, such as repairs to water infrastructure for stock and fencing.
  • Grants for growers of $2000 per hectare up to a maximum of $40,000 to remove silt from trees and vines, support clean−up and other time-sensitive work to minimise future losses, such as preserving trees in orchards and vines for future production.

How do I request a grant?

Getting a grant is simple. You will need to complete a short application form, which is available from the MPI website. You will also need to provide a description of the damage caused by Cyclone Gabrielle and the work being done/to be undertaken. You can scan or take photos of the completed application form, and supporting documentation requested. Please send your completed application and supporting documentation to

Cyclone Gabrielle Rural Sector Funding

The Government is providing an initial $4m to help rural communities with immediate recovery efforts from Cyclone Gabrielle.  The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is working with national and regional response teams, sector groups, whenua Māori entities and Rural Support Trusts, to identify areas of greatest need. They will consider ideas for works, services and initiatives that meet the immediate needs of rural communities
The money may be used to:

  • support the immediate response and get in behind local initiatives
  • support the contracting of advice from rural professionals
  • respond to urgent needs identified by sector groups, response teams and councils
  • conduct aerial assessments (this imagery was critical in recovery planning after the Canterbury floods in 2021).

Funding Fact Sheet – How to Apply

Who do I contact if I need help with my grant request?

MPI staff are available to assist you. Please call 0800 00 83 33 or email

Soil Repair after Cyclone Gabrielle

Landwise are bringing together resources to help growers make decisions about repairing, rebuilding or developing their soils following flood events such as Cyclone Gabrielle. These events have happened before, and there have been lessons learned. They are working with their scientists and advisors to create a succinct set of materials. View the Landwise website.


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2023 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /