skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling

Helpful hints about the Building Act

Building Act Section 112 requirements - altering or changing an existing building

Section 112 of the Building Act relates to all existing buildings that are being altered or changed by the building work. This Section provides specific measures that must be met. Typically this information is provided in the form of reports from design professionals.

These reports should show:

  • The building’s existing features for people with disabilities, such as an escape route, accessibility and facilities
  • Any features the building should have for people with disabilities if it were built today,
  • What gaps exist between these two
  • How those gaps can be reasonably filled.

The designer will also need to show the other components of Section 112 have been met.

Please note:Council does not consider cost itself as a deciding factor for upgrade when measuring ‘as near as reasonably practicable’.

Building Act section 133AT requirements - structural upgrades earthquake prone buildings

If your building has been issued an earthquake prone building notice and the proposed work is for structural upgrade only, Section 133AT of the Building Act means you won’t have to worry about all of the components outlined in Section 112 above. We suggest you ask your design professional to give you advice on this.

Building Act Section 115 requirements - change of use of a building

Change of use is one of the most onerous components of the Building Act and imposes the most costs associated with upgrades. You must provide reports from design professionals addressing the matters requiring upgrade if your building work will change the use of your building.

These reports should show:

  • Current situation,
  • What those requirements would be for a new building built today and
  • How any identified gaps would be addressed.

Please note: Council does not consider cost itself as deciding factor for upgrade when measuring ‘as near as reasonably practicable’. The measure for change of use is not altered where an earthquake prone building notice has been issued.

Building Act Section 116 requirements - extension to the specified intended life of the building

The Building Act, Section 116 applies where a building consent for its building or alteration was issued subject to the condition that it must be altered on or before the end of the specified intended life.

You will need to demonstrate that either you met the condition, or you will meet the requirements of Section 112 of the Act.

This is a specialised application and it’s best to ask a competent design professional to assist you with this.


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2021 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /