skip to main content skip to main menu

Building Consents & Information
~ Whakaritenga hanga whare

clipbboard house

What is a Building Consent?

Image of Building site. A building consent is formal approval for proposed building work, certifying that the project, as documented, complies with the New Zealand Building Code, Building Act and building regulations.

No building work requiring a building consent can start until one has been issued (it cannot be issued retrospectively) and other requirements such as resource consent conditions have been met.

Building consents do not give any form of planning approval under the Council's District Plan. It is your responsibility to find out whether your proposal complies with the District Plan by contacting Council or consulting your own planning advisor.

If it does not comply with the District Plan you will need a Resource Consent. You are strongly advised to obtain this before seeking a building consent, to avoid expensive changes to your proposal.

GNS Science recently released a report reassessing the regions susceptibility to earthquake-induced liquefaction. Based on this the draft building consent application guidelines have been updated. The guidelines are available in the related documents below. The updated GNSmaps are available through the Hawke's Bay Emergency Management Group website.


624 page views for the last 30 days

Share this page
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on LinkedIn Share by Email

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Hastings District Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 838 7309 / Fax: +64 6 838 8874