skip to main content skip to main menu

Permits, Food and Licensing
~ Puka whakaaetanga me ngā raihana kai

knife fork glass

Operating a food business

The Food Act 2014

The Food Act 2014 came into force on 1 March, 2016. The Act applies to all food businesses, including commercial food stall holders and mobile food businesses. Existing businesses are being transitioned to the new Act, with that process due to be completed by 28 February, 2019. Download the transition timetable from the MPI website.

Who do I register my food business with?

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) and all territorial authorities (councils) are registration authorities under the Food Act 2014. Their regulatory functions include the registration of:

Food control plans

A food control plan sets out the steps a business making or selling higher-risk foods needs to take to make safe food.  It is used to identify food safety risks, and to show how they're being managed.  Further information on food control plans can be found on the Ministry of Primary Industries website (MPI).

National programmes

A national programme is the way that lower-risk food businesses operate under the Food Act 2014.  Further information on National Programmes can found on the MPI website.

Who does what?

Food control plans and national programmes are also known as risk-based measures (RBMs). The table below outlines which organisation most businesses will register with under each RBM.

RBM Registration authority
Customised Food Control Plan MPI
Templated Food Control Plan – single territorial authority region Relevant council
Templated Food Control Plan – multiple territorial authority regions MPI, or the individual councils (businesses choose which option works best for them)
National Programme – single territorial authority region Relevant council
National Programme – multiple territorial authority regions MPI, or the individual councils (businesses choose which option works best for them)

Frequently asked questions

Where does my business fit in the food regime?
To help you find out what food safety measure your business needs to operate under, the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) has developed a 'where do I fit'  tool?.

Verification of food control plans or national programmes
Your business will need to be verified (audited) when you first register it.  For information on the frequency of subsequent verifications required for food businesses, please contact a Hastings District Council environmental health officer; phone 871 5000.

Opening a new food business in Hastings
A pamphlet on opening a new food business in Hastings can be downloaded from the 'related documents' section at the bottom of this page.

How do I register with the Hastings District Council?
An application form for a Food Control Plan or National Programme is available from the 'related documents' section at the bottom of this page, or from Council's Customer Service Centre, in Lyndon Road, Hastings. The form should be completed, signed and returned to Council with the registration fee, and an appointment with a Council environmental health officer made.

Taking over an existing food premises
Food business registration, including Food Control Plans, National Programmes and registration certificates under Food Hygiene Regulations 1974, cannot be transferred to new owners.  If you are planning to take over a food business you will need to complete an application registration under the Food Act 2014, available from the 'related documents' section at the bottom of this page.

Amendments or changes to a food control plan
To make a significant amendment, like changing premises or changing the business structure where this impacts on the overall operation, please complete an application for registration of significantly amended template food control plan under the Food Act 2014 form, available from the 'related documents' section at the bottom of this page.

Surrender of licence for a food business
To advise Council that:

  • Your business has been sold or has ceased trading and you want to surrender your registration or
  • You wish to temporarily suspend all operations at one or more sites to which the registration applies.  (Please note: The minimum voluntary suspension period is three months and maximum period is 12 months)

Please complete the application to surrender or suspend registration; available from the 'related documents' section at the bottom of this page.

More information
To find out more information see MPI's frequently asked questions

Food complaints

Complaints about suspected food poisoning

If your complaint is about a suspected food poisoning please consult the 'making a food complaint' section of the MPI website.

Complaints about food safety and hygiene

If you have concerns or complaints about a food business relating to issues such as cleanliness, food hygiene practices, food safety issues or foreign objects found in food, please contact the Council's environmental health team; phone 871 5000.

162 page views for the last 30 days

Share this page
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on LinkedIn Share by Email

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Hastings District Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 838 7309 / Fax: +64 6 838 8874