skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling

Licensed building practitioner schemeKaupapa kaihanga whai raihana

The Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) scheme was introduced by Government in 2007. The aim of the scheme is to ensure certain building work is only completed by competent, licensed building professionals.

Under the legislation only LBP’s may carry out or supervise certain types of building work – known as 'Restricted Building Work' such as, but not limited to, the external moisture-management system of a house or small-to-medium sized apartment building.

Restricted Building Work is work that is deemed to be critical to the integrity of the building, namely:

  • Design and construction that relates to the structure (load-bearing walls; foundations, etc)
  • Design and construction that relates to moisture penetration (roofs, cladding, etc)
  • Design of fire safety systems for small to medium sized apartments

The scheme has seven licence classes:

  • Designers
  • Carpenters
  • External plasterers
  • Bricklayers and blocklayers
  • Foundation specialists
  • Roofers
  • Site (ie: on-site supervisors or managers)

It is an offence for an unlicensed person to carry out or supervise any Restricted Building Work and it is an offence to knowingly engage an unlicensed person to carry out or supervise Restricted Building Work.

Design work

A Design LBP designing Restricted Building Work must provide a Memorandum (Certificate of Design Work) to the building owner. A form for this is available on the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment website.

This memorandum must be included with the Building Consent application.

Trade work

Before Restricted Building Work can be started, the building owner must provide Council with written notice detailing the trades people who will be undertaking Restricted Building Work on the project. A form for this is available in the 'related documents' section at the bottom of this page. The use of this specific form is not mandatory, however all of the information noted on it must be supplied to Council for each restricted building project.

On completion of work

Each trade LBP is required to complete a Memorandum (record of building work) as their part of the Restricted Building Work is completed. A copy of the completed Memorandum must be provided to both the building owner and to Council.

The building owner is required to include all of the Memorandums (records of building work) with the application to Council for a Code Compliance Certificate.

Owner-builder exemption

Owner-builders are able to carry out Restricted Building Work on their own home without being an LBP.

You are an owner-builder if you:

  • Live in or are going to live in the home (includes a batch or holiday home)
  • Carry out the Restricted Building Work to your own home yourself, or with the help of your unpaid friends and family members, and
  • Have not, under the owner-builder exemption, carried out Restricted Building Work to any other home within the previous three years

Using the owner-builder exemption

Before you can use the owner-builder exemption you need to complete a statutory declaration showing that you meet the owner-builder criteria.

The statutory declaration form has to be witnessed and signed by a Justice of the Peace or someone else legally authorised to do so.

The completed form needs to be provided to Council with your Building Consent application or before the construction phase of the Restricted Building Work on your home starts.

An Owner-Builder Notice form is also available for use during the construction process when an owner-builder starts or stops using the owner-builder notice form


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2021 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /