skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling

Noise ControlMana Tiaki Turituri

It is accepted that a certain amount of noise is part of the normal human environment. Traffic noise, aircraft noise, industrial noise and residential noise form part of the background to everyday life. Generally, noise is not a problem - unless it becomes excessive.

Loud SpeakersUnder New Zealand's environmental laws, Hastings District Council has responsibility for controlling excessive noise in our district, within certain limitations.

To make a noise complaint

Contact Council anytime, day or night; phone +64 6 871 5000. Noise complaints are confidential; the noisemaker is not advised of who has complained.


Failure to obey excessive noise duration notices can result in stereos or other noise-making equipment being seized. If stereo equipment is seized, there is a cost to the noise maker. See Councils fees page - Licence fees - environmental health.

Infringement notices resulting in fines can also be issued in some instances.

If you are the noisemaker and you feel the complaint is unjustified, contact Council to discuss your concerns.

Bird Scarers

For information on Bird Scarers please visit this page of our website.

Noise control FAQs

The term excessive noise is defined in the Resource Management Act 1991 and means any noise that is under human control and of such a nature as to unreasonably interfere with the peace, comfort, and convenience of any person.

Excessive noise may include noise emitted by any:

  • Musical instrument
  • Electrical appliance
  • Machine (however powered)
  • Person or group of persons
  • Explosion or vibration

Excessive noise does not include noise emitted by any:

  • Aircraft being operated during, or immediately before or after, flight
  • Vehicles being driven on a road (within the meaning of section 2(1) of [the Land Transport Act 1998)
  • Train, other than when being tested (when stationary), maintained, loaded, or unloaded

No. You can complain about excessive noise at any time of the day or night.

  • Stereo volume or bass, bands, drums, guitars

If you feel the noise is excessive contact Council, to lodge a complaint. Screaming, yelling or other loud/excessive human behaviours should be referred to Police.

If the noise is ongoing contact a Council environmental health officer to discuss the situation.

There are no set times. Lawn mowing noise is generally acceptable during daytime hours but mowing should not be carried out before 7am. In all situations however, people mowing their lawns should be mindful of the noise impact on their neighbours, particularly later in the evening.

You will need to contact Council's planning and regulatory team. This team is concerned with noise levels, fire safety, building safety and monitoring, sale of alcohol, land use compliance, food hygiene and other issues.

If there is any sign of forced entry or intruders, contact Police. If it looks as though the car has not been broken into, check adjacent properties or businesses for the owner. If it is a frequent occurrence, leave a note on the windscreen, otherwise, contact Council's 24-hour phone line, with the car's registration number, description and location of vehicle (these details will help us locate the owner).

There are noise levels set out in the Hastings District Plan which define the conditions a business can operate within so it does not create unreasonable noise. If you have concerns, contact an Environmental Policy Planner at Council.


To discuss noise related issues during business hours email Council and one of our team will contact you.


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2024 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /