skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling


insurance hub webIf your home, car, or contents have been damaged by the severe weather, take photos before you remove or repair anything and report it to your insurance company as soon as possible. Your insurance company will let you know what you need to do next, how to claim and - if applicable how EQ Cover from Toka Tū Ake EQC works.

If you need to make your home safe, sanitary, secure and weather-tight, please record the work done, take before and after photos, and keep copies of the bills you paid.

If you don’t have house insurance but do have contents insurance, speak to your insurer about what is covered. Make sure you take lots of photos and keep good records before you throw anything out, where possible. Free and independent advice is available through Residential Advisory Service. You can contact or ring 0800 777 299, 03 379 7027 for more information.

EQCover is available for damage to houses and land following landslips:

  • If the house is damaged by the landslide, cover is available up to the building cap (up to $150,000 or $300,000, depending on the policy renewal date)
  • Cover for repair or reinstatement of some residential land, up to the value of the insured land
  • Removal of flood debris such as silt and fallen trees.

For flood and storm damage, EQCover only applies to insured land, with private insurers generally providing cover for homes:

New Zealand Claims Resolution Service

The New Zealand Claims Resolution Service (NZCRS) is a free service that provides residential homeowners with advice, case management support where appropriate, and access to legal, technical and wellbeing services so they can achieve timely, fair, and enduring resolution of their residential insurance claims resulting from natural disasters. Phone 0508 624 327 or visit

Talk to insurers

For those needing to talk with their insurers, IAG Insurance  has a team of insurance experts at 21 Station Street, Napier (open 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday). They are available for face-to-face discussions about insurance claims and queries. You don’t need to make a booking, just walk on in.

IAG represents the following companies; AMI, State, NZI, Lumley, Westpac, BNZ, ASB, The Co-operative Bank, Lantern Insurance, NAC Industries and Swann Insurance.

For AA Insurance customer, if your property or vehicle is critically damaged or if you need immediate assistance AA Insurance recommends you please call us them on 0800 500 216. For non-urgent claims, these can be lodged on


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2024 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /