skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling

Rural support

Help is available from many sources, including industry groups, rural support trusts and other resource providers.

Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)

MPI has established Cyclone Gabrielle farmer and grower recovery support. The grants are to help farmers and growers get back on their feet as quickly as possible. They include up to $10,000 for pastoral and arable farmers to help with initial recovery, such as repairs to water infrastructure for livestock, and fencing. Visit the MPI website to complete an application form and apply. If you need help completing your application, freephone 0800 00 83 33 or email

Rural Support Trust

The East Coast Rural Support Trust can help with health and wellbeing, financial pressure, animal welfare and dealing with floods.

Horticulture NZ

Hort NZ has a list of support, resources, links and grower guidance available at on their website. If you have a specific query or need further assistance, email

National Fuel Management Plan

Civil Defence has activated the national fuel management plan, so if farmers need fuel, contact HB Civil Defence so they can be prioritised via logistics@

New Zealand Apples & Pears

The NZ Apples & Pears website has a great resource finding tool that matches offers of resources with people looking to source an item during the recovery.

Dead farm livestock

The flooding has been particularly tough on livestock, with farmers and lifestyle block owners left to deal with dead animals. If you have dead livestock on your farm, please bury them as per normal conditions:

  • Consider proximity to waterways – should be more than 50m from a waterway
  • Consider usual pest/vermin control.

If the dead livestock is not on your farm, or there are too many for you to deal with, please phone Hawke’s Bay Regional Council (HBRC) on 06 835 9200 or 0800 108 838. HBRC will coordinate collection and appropriate disposal.

Roading updates

For the latest Hastings District roading network updates, please see For information relating State Highways, please see


Regarding power restoration, Unison has advised that if you live in an area where power has been restored but your property is still without, you will need to log an outage. This can be done either on their website or by calling 0800 2 86476.


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2024 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /