skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling

On Licence

An on-licence allows for the sale and supply of alcohol to persons for consumption on a specified premises. Examples of premises that require an on-licence include hotels, taverns, licensed restaurants/cafes, night-clubs and function centres.

An on-licence may be endorsed (BYO: Bring Your Own - endorsement) to allow diners and their guests to be able to bring their own alcohol into a premises and consume it. You can also get an endorsement for being a caterer, to allow sales of alcohol at other venues for events such as weddings or other functions.

The licence is initially issued for one year. If all conditions are met during this time the licence can be renewed on a three yearly basis.

Starting a new on-licence business

To apply for a new on-licence you will need to get building and planning certificates and food business registration. There may also be other requirements, such as approval for outdoor dining, so please speak to Council before applying.

There is also a requirement that there be a certified Duty Manager on the premises at all times that alcohol is being sold. For more information and to apply see: Duty Manager's certificate.

If you are ready to apply for your on-licence please use the link below to complete the on-line application form. The form details all the documents you need to provide to Council.

The online process provides a structured workflow which ensures all required information is received and the application can be processed quickly.  You will receive a thank you confirmation screen with payment link, online payment is required to complete the online process.

If you want to see the status of your application and see a copy of your file with us at any time, you can log in and you will see all the details about your application including a copy of your application and where in the process your application is.


Renewing an on-licence

To renew your on-licence, you will need your Alcohol Licence Number, found on your current licence. If the licence expires before it is renewed, you must apply for a new licence.



The fees for an alcohol licence are worked out on a risk-based model, found in the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Regulations (Fees) 2013.  Your fees will be automatically calculated when you apply for your licence.














Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2024 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /