Amusement rides for events
If you plan to have amusement devices* at your event, each device owner will need to apply to Council for an Amusement Device Permit (the application form is available from the 'related documents' section at the bottom of this page). Please note a copy of the current Certificate of Registration for each device needs to be supplied with the permit application.
*Amusement devices include fairground rides and any other mechanically-powered unit that is used for rider entertainment, including but not limited to:
- Bumper boats
- Bumper cars
- Bungee jumping (when a mobile crane and platform are used)
- Can-Am cars
- Fairground machinery (eg merry-go-rounds, ferris wheels, roller coasters etc)
- Indoor go-kart operations
- Minibikes (three and four wheel all-terrain vehicles)
Amusement devices are regulated under the Amusement Device Regulations 1978. This requires that all devices have a valid Certificate of Registration and that whenever they are operated, they have a local authority permit (Regulation 11).
The permit fees - Licence fees - environmental health) are set by regulation.
Processing of applications
- Applications must be accompanied by a current Certificate of Registration and the application fee.
- Applications for weekend inspections should be submitted before 5pm on Thursday.
- Applications for other days should be submitted at least two days before the event.
- Applications should state exactly where the intended amusement device site will be and include an “inspect-by” time and contact telephone number.
Additional approval is required if you wish to operate an amusement device on Council land. Please contact Council for further information, phone +64 6 871 5000.
Licence Fees - Environmental Health Fees and Charges approved for 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019.
All fees and charges are inclusive of GST (except as noted *).
|Licence Fees||Fee (incl GST)|
|Amusement device permit application (set by statue)|
|One device for the first seven days of proposed operation or part thereof||$11.50|
|For each additional device operated by the same owner, for the first seven days or part thereof||$2.30|
|Note: For each device, $1.15 for each further period of seven days or part thereof|
|Alcohol Application Fees||Fee (incl GST)|
|Note: Fees are set by regulation under Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. Please discuss the applicable fees for On, Off and Club Licences with the Alcohol Licensing Officer.|