skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling

Special Licence

A special licence allows for the sale and supply of alcohol at an event such as a street party or function. It can also be issued to a licensee for an extension of hours. It is issued for the one occasion only and cannot be renewed, however it can apply for more than one date covering the same type of event; for example for a two-day carnival. If alcohol is not sold at your event, or is not apart of a ticket price, then a special licence is not required. You can not get a special licence for a BYO (‘Bring your own Alcohol’) event or function.

There are two types of special licences, on-site and off-site. On-site is for alcohol consumption on a premises or at an event.  An off-site special licence is for consumption of alcohol off-site or to be taken away from the event, however you can have small samples for people at the event on-site. Only a manufacturer, distributor or wholesaler of alcohol can hold an off-site special licence.

For larger events (see the fees table at the bottom of this page) there is a requirement to have a Certified Duty Manager on duty at all times that alcohol is being sold. A detailed Alcohol Management Plan is required. View the Guidelines for Managing Alcohol at Large Events here. For a large event over 1000 people please also ensure you get your application to us as soon as possible as meetings may be required prior to the event being approved.Low and non-alcoholic options, water and substantial food must be provided at all events where alcohol is being sold.

Do you need a special licence?

Special Licence flow chart

Sensible hosting

If you are holding an event at which alcohol will be available, here are some handy responsible host tips:

  • Arrange safe transport for your guests
  • Plan to do things other than eating and drinking
  • Provide substantial food - not just chippies - and promote non-alcoholic drinks and water
  • Consider serving alcohol in plastic, as glass can be a hazard
  • See for resources and more information.

Council requires at least twenty five working days for the processing of special licences, therefore an application has to be made at least 25 working days prior to the date of your event.

 apply for a special Licence Online


Licence Fees - Environmental Health

Licence Fees - Environmental Health Fees and Charges approved for 1 July 2024 to 30 June 2025.

All fees and charges are inclusive of GST (except as noted *).

Alcohol Licensing Fee (incl GST)
Note: Fees are set by regulation under Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. Please discuss the applicable fees for On, Off and Club Licence with the Alcohol Licensing Officer.
Special Licence Applications
Note: Large Event - 400 people (one large event / more than 3 medium events in a series / more than 12 small events in a series)
Note: Medium Event - between 100-400 people
Note: Small Event - under 100 people
1 to 2 small size events$63.25 
3 to 12 small, 1 to 3 medium size events$207.00 
All other special licenses / large events$575.00 
Other Applications
Managers Certificate Applications$316.25 
Variation of Licence$368.00 
Temporary Authority$296.70 


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2024 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /