About road works
State Highway road work sites
State highways across New Zealand (in Hawke’s Bay they are SH50 and 50a, SH2 and SH5) are managed by the New Zealand Transport Agency. For information on state highway projects see the NZTA website.
Public road safety tips
We all encounter road works at times while travelling around our communities and further afield. While your initial reaction is likely to be frustration at the inconvenience, we do ask that you take a moment to consider why they might happening. Work that can delay our travels can include road construction or maintenance, or work on services that lie below the ground, typically on the infrastructure that supplies our drinking water, or gets rid of our stormwater or sewage. Work within the roadway may also be being carried out by organisations other than Council, on things like the installation or repair of broadband cables, power or phone lines.
For tips on how you can keep safe around road works sites and information on what Hastings District Council does to minimise disruptions, see the 'related documents' section at the bottom of this page.
- Fulton Hogan (rural roads maintenance)
- Downer (urban roads maintenance)
- Pope Electrical (street lighting and traffic signals)
- Roadrunners (road marking maintenance)
- City Care (water services maintenance)
External organisations that may carry out works in the roadway
- Chorus (ultra-fast broadband): 0800 832 000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Powerco (gas works): 0800 POWERCO (0800 769 372)
- Unison (networks and fibre): 0800 2 UNISON (0800 286 476)
- For power outages please visit the Unison website
For more information contact Hastings District Council on 871 5000.