skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rubbish & Recycling Rubbish & Recycling

Code Compliance CertificateTiwhikete Tūtohunga

Receiving a Code Compliance Certificate is cause for celebration; it shows that your building project is complete and that it complies with your Building Consent and building regulations. This page looks at the CCC application process and what to do should your project not receive its CCC.

A Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) is issued at the end of the Building Consent process when:

  • The final inspection has been completed
  • The required documentation has been received
  • All fees have been paid in full

A CCC is a formal statement issued under section 95 of the Building Act 2004, confirming that building work carried out under a Building Consent complies with that Building Consent.

A Code Compliance Certificate:

  • Identifies that the work complies with the Building Consent
  • Confirms that the work is noted in any Land Information Memorandum (LIM) for your property
  • Ensures that the value of new building work is reflected in the property valuation
  • May be required for insurance purposes

Should you not obtain a CCC you may encounter problems if you want to sell your house. Sale and Purchase agreements can be conditional on a CCC having been issued.

Applying for a CCC

The owner must apply for CCC after all building work to be carried out under the Building Consent granted to the owner is completed. The application form for a CCC can be obtained from the 'related documents' section at the top of this page, or in hard copy from Council on request, phone 871 5000.

The application for a CCC form must be completed in full. You will need to include documents identified in your Building Consent. These may include: Producer statements; energy certificates; Licensed Building Practitioner records; plumbing and drainage documentation; as-builts for minor variations.

When a Compliance Schedule is associated with your Building Consent you will have to provide producer statements.  These will need to identify the installation and maintenance standards required for all specified systems included in your consent. For more information on producer statements, see the Apply for Building Consent page.

 All of these documents are required to be verified before a CCC can be issued.

Processing a CCC application

The Building Act requires Council to decide whether a Code Compliance Certificate can be issued within 20 working days of one of the following:

  • Receipt of a completed application form
  • If no application is made, two years after the date on which the Building Consent was granted
  • Any further period that may be agreed between the owner and the Building Consent Authority concerned (If an extension of time is required please complete the Application for Extension: Work Not Complete, located in the related documents section).

As with Building Consent applications, the 'clock' days will be suspended if your application is incomplete. Further information may be required, such as documentation or outstanding fees.  The clock will restart when the information has been received and accepted.

Final invoice

A final invoice is created based on the difference between the estimated inspection costs previously invoiced, the actual inspection costs, and additional amendment processing. If this invoice is a credit, the CCC will be issued and additional money refunded. If money is owed to Council, this must be paid before the CCC is issued.

Issuing a CCC

If Council is satisfied on reasonable grounds that all items are completed in accordance with the Building Consent then the CCC can be issued.

Refusing a CCC

If Council is not satisfied that the building work complies with the Building Consent your CCC will be refused, with the reasons for the refusal.  If the reasons are of a more serious nature you may be issued with a ‘Notice to Fix’ that lists the work that must be corrected before the CCC can be issued. You are legally required to make sure the work on the notice is completed and advise Council when it is done. Council will then re-inspect and reconsider whether or not a CCC can be issued.

You have three options if Council refuses to issue a CCC:

  • Give Council additional grounds for issuing the CCC, such as provide producer statements, carry out work to expose elements of work, supply an investigative report from a suitably qualified person, etc
  • Alter the building as necessary to satisfy Council's requirements
  • Apply to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment for a determination (see below)

CCCs for consents issued under the 1991 Building Act

Applications for CCC for these consents will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Decisions and disputes

If you disagree with Council over some aspect of the inspection findings or a decision Council has made, you can make a formal complaint to Council or you can apply to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment for a determination.  The Ministry will make a ruling on matters within its jurisdiction (see ministry's jurisdiction). There is a charge for the service.


Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment

PO Box 1473, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
+64 4 238 6362 or 0800 242 243


Hastings District Council - Copyright © 2021 Hastings District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 871 5000 /