skip to main content skip to main menu

Planning & Resource Consents
~ Whakaritenga rori me ngā rauemi

clipboard tick

Relocating Buildings

If you are planning to move a building to a new site, you’ll need a Building Consent and in some cases a Resource Consent.  This page has further information about the process of relocating a building see related documents pages below to view our Relocated Building Information Guide.

Purchasing a second hand house for removal

Prior to purchasing a second hand house Council recommends you engage a suitable qualified person (i.e. A Member of the NZ Institute of Building Surveyors or a Licensed Building Practitioner (carpenter or design category)).

They will provide a comprehensive and detailed report on the building’s condition.  This must cover the structural condition of the building at the time of removal from the site, its weather tightness status, any new building work proposed, and reinstatement or remedial work required.  Council has a building report template available for applicants to use below.  This template outlines all the information that the report is required to cover.

See related documents pages below  to view the Relocated building report template.

This report will be required by Council at Building Consent application time.  Once you have decided the house is for you we recommend you engage a designer to draw up the appropriate plans and specifications.

Note: The relocated building is not to be placed onto the proposed destination site until the Consent Application has been approved and the balance of any fees paid.

Will you need a Resource Consent?

In some locations or zones relocating a building will not require a resource consent provided that certain District Plan standards are met.  However there are a number of zones where a Resource Consent is still needed to relocate a building.

The Council’s information guide on relocated buildings provides information on whether you will need a resource consent to relocate your house.  The guide can be viewed from the related documents pages below.  Alternatively a Council planner can advise whether a Resource Consent will be needed to relocate your house.

A Resource Consent is a separate process from the building consent and without it you will not be able to relocate your house.

Resource Consent Considerations

  • The number of unfinished buildings on a site at any one time and the impacts (including cumulative impacts) this may have on the amenity and character of the neighbourhood;
  • The suitability of the building for reuse;
  • The appearance of the building once restored, and whether it is compatible with existing buildings in the surrounding area in terms of scale, character, style and era (i.e. Council will require the exterior of the building to be reinstated in a manner that will ensure the building integrates with the existing amenity of the surrounding area);
  • The exterior materials used and their condition and quality;
  • The specific work required to bring the building up to an acceptable standard;
  • The time required for the reinstatement work to the building to be undertaken;
  • Whether the amenity of the streetscape will be maintained including the prevailing site development characteristics of the street (i.e. setback of the building from the street, landscaping of the front yard area); and
  • Whether conditions on the resource consent are necessary to ensure the completion of the reinstatement work to an acceptable standards (e.g. a performance bond).


In some instances, Council will require the payment of a bond to cover the cost of upgrading the building should the applicant default (i.e. if the applicant moves the building but fails to restore it). A bond is essentially a promise to do certain work or to pay a sum of money if the work is not carried out.

Two forms of bond are currently used for relocated buildings. The first is a Cash bond, which is where the Council holds a sum of money deposited by the applicant. The second is a Bank Bond, which is a legal agreement between the applicant, the applicant's bank and the Council.

In either case, this means that if the work required by the Council to bring the building to an acceptable standard is satisfactorily completed within a certain time the cash bond is Refunded or the Bank Bond is cancelled. If not, the Council may use the bonded sum to complete this work.

Please note that both types of Bond are a legal document and may take some time to organise. You should allow for this when planning your project.

Bond value

The value of the bond is based on a conservative estimate of the cost of restoring the exterior of the building, plus 50%. The applicant should submit the cost estimate, for both labour and materials, to the Council as part of the application.

Information to supply with the Building Consent Application

To assist Council in processing applications to relocate dwellings within the Hastings District we will require the following information. The information below is to be provided at Building and Resource Consent application.

  • A Building Consent application form and PlanSmart Checklist are to be fully completed and signed by the applicant.
  • Supply of the detailed Building Report as described above.
  • Provide details of the proposal including a site plan, colour photos of the dwelling (each elevation) and a dimensioned floor plan.  If you propose any alterations or additions as part of relocating a building you will need to supply full architectural drawings and specifications.
  • Elevation plans showing the height of the building relative to the original ground level and recession plane lines.
  • If a new fire appliance is to be installed, the relevant details of the installation and manufacturers specifications are to be provided (refer to the Wood Burners page for further information).
  • A detailed foundation layout and design in accordance with site levels shall be provided to comply with NZS3604 (or be specifically designed by an Engineer). Include sub-floor bracing calculations. All stucco buildings must have continuous ring foundations or be specifically designed by a suitably qualified Engineer.
  • Show points of access to the dwelling, design of decks, steps, ramps, hand rails and balustrades etc, where required.
  • If the roof is to be removed or altered either before or after the shift, or building split, details of the fixings and/or replacement structure are to be supplied, including how it will be made weather tight again.
  • A detailed plan of the drainage layout (both storm water and sewer), including materials, sizes, grades to comply with AS/NZS 3500 or NZBC G13. If a septic tank/secondary treatment system is required, then provide full specifications and calculations for septic tank and effluent system from a Registered Drain Layer.
    • Include: On-site wastewater disposal site assessment, subsoil investigation and site evaluation checklist
    • An accurate site plan of tank and effluent field with site elevation and effluent drain details etc (effluent trench cross section, size and drainage materials).
    • When required, Hawke's Bay Regional Council Resource Consent or permitted activity letter.
  • Provide full details of the water supply. Site plan layout including mains connection location, valves, pipe size and material.
    • If the supply is from a bore, provide a water analysis report covering both bacteria and chemical composition. This is required irrespective of others being connected to the supply.
    • If the supply is by rain water storage tank, provide details of the tank, any support structure, pumping and provision of overflow disposal.

Note: A site plan shows the location of the dwelling in relation to the property boundaries and any existing buildings. The floor plan indicates the use of every room (i.e. lounge, kitchen, bathroom, etc) and location of the hot water cylinder, fire appliance etc.

The "Site Copy" plans issued with the Consent Application must be kept on site and made readily available at all times.

Building Consent work will be inspected by a Building Officer and the Resource Consent conditions will be monitored by a Planning Compliance & Monitoring Officer.

Will I need a Building Consent?

Removal of a building from an existing site

A Building Consent is required to remove a building from an existing site.  Applications for building consent to remove a building should include all the information outlined above.  A building must only be removed after building consent has been issued.

Demolishing an existing building on a site does not require building consent as it is specifically exempt from the Building Act provisions (Clause 30, Part 1 Schedule 1 of the Building Act).  However demolition proposals should be discussed with the Duty Building Officer to ensure that appropriate public safety measures have been identified and will be implemented.

Where drainage and water services are still connected, the applicant is responsible for applying to the Hastings District Council Reticulation Engineer for sealing of the sewer and disconnection of the water at the boundary.

At least five (5) working days notice is required for the services to be disconnected.  Contractors shall not remove/demolish any part of a building containing drainage pipework until Council’s approved Contactor has carried out the required disconnections.

Related Documents

Related Pages

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hastings District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hastings District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hastings District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Hastings District Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hastings District Council - / +64 6 838 7309 / Fax: +64 6 838 8874